This post may contain affiliate links.
Hi there! Today I mBakinga Orange Muffin with Walnuts. This recipe is adapted from Beth’s Orange Precan Crumb Muffins.
Why I tried this recipe
Oranges are quite easy to get around here all year round. Hence, I wanted to try out this recipe to make some easy and tasty breakfast muffins that’s easily available all year round.
I made some adjustments to Beth’s recipe as I did not have some of the ingredients that were called for in the original recipe.
Experiences from trying this Recipe
I wanted to make a portion of 6 regular muffins, hence I halved the total amount of ingredients used. Also, I made a number of substitutions and tweaks to the original recipe based on the ingredients that I had:
- Instead of brown sugar, I used an equal amount of white sugar and a teaspoon of treacle.
- I omitted the maple syrup and added slightly more fine sugar.
- The cloves was omitted.
- I used an equal amount of walnuts instead of pecans.
- 1 tablespoon worth of pumpkin seeds were mixed into the batter too.
- I place a round of orange at the base of each ramekin before adding the batter onto it.
I opted for freshly squeezed orange juice which worked out to half an orange to extract 60ml of juice. However, using store bought juice would work perfectly fine. It may be slightly sweeter because of the added sugars in commercial juices.
Overall thoughts about the Orange Muffin with Walnuts
Because of the orange round placed at the bottom of the ramekin, these muffins could also turn out as an upside down orange cake as long as the domed top is sliced off. The orange slice also provides an extra boost of the orange flavour to the overall muffin.
The hardest part of the recipe would have to be juicing the oranges for that freshly squeezed orange juice. Everything else came together very quickly. I would make this recipe again in the future.
As such, I would rate these Orange Muffins with Walnuts recipe as follows:
(1 being the poor, and 5 being the best)
If you like what you’re reading so far, why not follow me through the links below:
Or if you’re feeling generous today and would love to support my blog, why not donate. All proceeds would go towards maintaining the website and covering the costs of any ingredients used.
Orange Muffin with Walnuts
- 1 egg
- 65 g fine sugar 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp + extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp treacle
- 90 g melted salted butter, cooled 6 tbsp + extra for greasing
- 30 ml vegetable oil 2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 medium orange sliced into 1cm thick rounds
- 60 ml orange juice 1/4 cup
- 60 ml water 1/4 cup
- 120 g plain flour 1 cup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 40 g walnuts 1/3 cup
- 15 g pumpkin seeds 1 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease the ramekins with some melted butter. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp of fine sugar over the base of the ramekin. Then, place 1 orange round in the bottom of the ramekin.
- In a large bowl add the egg, fine sugar, treacle, melted butter, vegetable oil, orange zest, orange juice and water. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the plain flour, baking powder, walnuts and pumpkin seeds together.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined and no lumps of flour are seen. Divide the batter equally into the prepared ramekins.
- Bake the muffins for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffin comes out clean. Let the muffins cool slightly before digging into them!