Why I tried this recipe
Surprisingly, I have not posted any chocolate cake recipes since this blog started! Well, this would be the first one.
Chef Dominique Ansel was the baker who created the cruffin in 2013. The cruffin was an instant hit when it was released and that was when I first heard about him. However, today I would not be attempting to make the cruffin and would be focusing on his chocolate cake. It comes form his book Everyone can bake.
Experiences from trying this Perfect Chocolate Cake Recipe
Chef Ansel’s chocolate cake recipe only called for ingredients that were easily obtainable. It did not require any special equipment to make. A simple wooden spoon and whisk would be sufficient.
Chef Ansel’s chocolate cake called for mixing the wet ingredients in one bowl and the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Then, combine the wet ingredients with the dry ones and mix well. I ended up using 2 bowls (not counting the cake pan). And any recipe that produces minimal clean up is already a big plus in my books.
Overall thoughts about Chef Ansel's Perfect Chocolate cake recipe
The batter was extremely simple to put together. Baking the cake at 180°C led to my cake doming significantly. However, the crumb structure of the cake was well formed. This made it easy to handle and slice off the domed portion of the cake.
However, having to slice off such a large portion of the cake due to the doming effect felt like such a waste to me. Hence, I may consider baking it at a lower temperature for a longer period of time instead. That should mitigate the doming effect. Also, Chef Ansel’s chocolate cake recipe was not as moist as some that I have tried before. Although this makes it sturdier and easier to handle, I would recommend consuming it within the same day of making when possible.
As such, I would rate Chef Ansel’s Perfect Chocolate cake recipe as follows:
(1 being the poor, and 5 being the best)
If you like what you’re reading so far, why not follow me through the links below:
Or if you’re feeling generous today and would love to support my blog, why not donate. All proceeds would go towards maintaining the website and covering the costs of any ingredients used.
Dominque Ansel's Perfect Chocolate Cake
- 6 inch cake pan
- 110 g all purpose flour 1 cup
- 75 g fine sugar 1/3 cup
- 30 g cocoa powder 2 tbsp
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch fine salt
- 1 egg
- 60 ml vegetable oil 1/4 cup
- 120 ml milk 1/2 cup
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Prepare a 6 inch cake pan by greasing it with butter.
- In a bowl, add the all purpose flour, fine sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and fine salt. Whisk well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, add the egg, vegetable oil and milk and whisk well.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Transfer the chocolate cake batter to the prepared 6 inch cake pan and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Transfer the baked chocolate cake out of the pan to cool.